Monday, July 12, 2010

Daily description of Bike School

There are eight men in the class. Most of them are from the west coast. I think half of them commute daily from home. I am the only East Coaster. I must say I am proud of the name tag on my drawing table with New York, NY prominently displayed.

There are two instructors. One is the owner of the school, Ron, who usually teaches. However Tony who used to assist is leading his first class wit Ron assisting. I have to say, Tony's excitement and enthusiasm about teaching his first class can only benefit the students. He's great. He has been building frames professionally for seven years and has a shop at home in Portland. With Ron ever present, It's perfect.

Tony had us brazing a practice water bottle boss before lunch, and a practice upper head tube lug by the end of the day. I didn't take a picture of that because we immediately cut them open to examine out silver penetration. I did pretty well. There was a slight void in one side of my joint but not bad for the first one. We will do a practice lower head tube joint tomorrow morning. I'll try to get some pictures of that process.

I am having a blast. It has become clear to me that I absolutely have the skills to pull this off. I believe I will be one of the better students having worked with my hands for the last 25 years. Most of these guys don't work with their hands at their job. My hands will be hamburger by the end of this.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment