Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bike school Dat 3

Today was grueling. We didn't do much metal work, it was about drawing our frames. What made it demanding was that this is the first thing we did that wasn't throw away practice stuff. Although I had to throw away two nearly completed drawings.

The firs drawing I made was made with a parallel out of square. I know better but was so excited to get drawing that I neglected to check it. My 73 degree seat tube was actually 75 degrees. because the entire drawing is based off that tube it was a complete loss. The second drawing, I mistook the half degree marks on the protractor as full degree marks. My 73 degree seat tube turned out to actually be 71.5 degrees. It too was almost completed and a total loss. I nailed the third. The mental stress of knowing I had to get this right and soon really wore on me.

Once the drawings were done we had a half hour to do what we wanted before the end of class. I was smart enough to spend the morning freestyle work time to get a third practice drop out set up. The notching and slotting were perfect on this one unlike the previous two. Consequently the joint was the best of the three. Damn near acceptable for a finished frame. I haven't had the time to cut any of them open to check for flow inside the joint; the true measure of success.

The day ended with a restaurant recommendation from Tony. I had a fantastic piece of Halibut. Now a couple of beers and then bed. We start on our forks tomorrow. The first real three dimensional step in D'Anna serial number 001.

No comments:

Post a Comment