Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bike school day 5

I had a few problems with the drawing and had to do three of them to get it right. I fell a couple of hours behind the syllabus but more than made up for it yesterday. I brazed the rear dropouts to the chainstays, completed the upper head tube joint and mitered the downtube on both sides.

I was actually outrunning the syllabus yesterday so Ron tried to keep me busy. He had me miter the downtube where it joins the bottom bracket. It is one of the easiest miters because it is done at a perfect 90 degrees. Soon after I finished that miter Ron approached me and apologized for getting me a little out of sequence. He should have had me miter the more complicated side of the downtube first; the end where it meets the toptube. It's a little more complicated because it is done at a severe angle. (59 degrees on my frame) He told me not to worry because I had the talent to recover. Nice!

The 59 degree side of the downtube is done first so if you don't get it perfect you can keep filing till you do using up as much tube as you need knowing you have plenty extra. Then you do the simple 90 degree miter on the other end which is easy to get exactly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment